Thursday, October 09, 2014

Golden Garden Gully


sold

On the last day of the workshop I just took, after class, a few of my friends/classmates trekked over to Golden Gardens park here in Eugene to paint just a little more before the sun set. This was by far the best one I did all week. Apparently something clicked.

Having said that, I would like to report a little more thoroughly about the workshop now that I've had time to think about it. I have to admit I expected a lot. I've admired Scott Christensen's work for a long time, and I have friends who've taken his class and loved it. I was a little disappointed that he didn't demo more outside (only once, at the end of the last day). And the things he had to say were pretty high level. I wouldn't recommend this workshop for beginners, or those not well versed in plein air lingo. The things I got out of it were mostly gleaned from watching him make decisions, and trying some of the things he was doing (like holding the brush by the end, which leads to more organic mark-making). He was very encouraging, and I really appreciated that. The thing I enjoyed most was his taking student work and doing paint-on critiques for the whole class. Over-all it was a positive for me, but for those who are considering it, I just wanted to give a more complete review. My 2 cents anyway.

8 comments:

Leslie Bishop said...

Just beautiful, Carol!

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

it did click with this one. Great composition, color and brushwork. Your drawing is always superb and I love that, It's something I still struggle with when painting. Even with a view finder.
I appreciate your take on the workshop as well.

Teri said...

Nice painting, Carol! I love the shadows under the big tree. Thank you so much for your comments regarding the workshop.

Sue Marrazzo Fine Art said...

I like your colors and the style!

Sergio Lopez said...

Interesting, thanks for the review.

Annette Ragone Hall said...

This is gorgeous. I would love to see more landscapes from you like this.

D. MEYER said...

Really like this one... ¦>

Theresa Grillo Laird said...

I'm about to take a Christensen workshop next month. Like you, I have high expectations. I've been painting a long time but have never had any classes or workshops. It should be an interesting experience.
Congrats on your new book!